THIS MESSAGE WAS ORIGINALLY POSTED TO THE KBS LIST BY RON ROIZIN.  I'VE
TAKEN THE LIBERTY OF POSTING MY REPLY TO THE ALCOHOL-MISUSE LIST SINCE
THERE ARE A NUMBER OF SCOTS-BASED PRACTITIONERS ON THE LIST WHO MIGHT
HAVE FURTHER OBSERVATIONS.

Ron

Know the film.  It's a pretty accurate reflectiuon of life in the West
of Scotland.  The cigarette purchase scene is accurate too.  We did some
work in Barrhead a few years ago and purchasing cigarettes from corner
vshops and chip shops was common.  (Incidentally, is it only in Scotland
where you can buy cigarettes in chip shops?  In my experience, they're
not available in chip shops in England for instance).  With corner
shops, the owners were often Asian (usually Pakistani, Bangla Deshi or
Indian).  We frequently heard that it was easier for children to buy
cigarettes (and alcohol) from Asian shopkeepers than from other
indigenous retailers.  Howevger, the commissioners of the study insisted
that that information be left out of the final report.

The scene you describe of the two women sounds OK.  It's a while since I
saw the film but my recollection is that it was set in the late 1980s in
a seaside town in Ayrshire (step into the limelight, unlovely Ardrossan)
rather than present day.  That would make the whisky (no "e") drinking
plausible though probably more likely to be at Gran's instigation than
at Mum's.  In the past decade, drinking preferences have changed
dramatically in Scotland (certainly amongst the working classes).  Lager
is the pre-eminent draught drink (although that had already more or less
become the case in the 1970s).  Whether lager or beer, men would always
drink it in pints (except where drinking half and half - see below)
whilst women would generally take a half-pint which is seen as more
"ladylike".  The classic "half and half" (or "half and a wee half") of
half a pint of beer with a measure of whisky is now regarded as just for
older men.  More people are putting ice in their whisky (once regarded
as sacrilege or at the very least, a sign of latent homosexuality)
instead of the traditional small amount of water.  In the area of
Scotland where I stay (Perthshire) vodka seems to be a more popular
spirit now than whisky - generally taken with a soft drink mixer like
coca cola or Irn Bru (a sort of Scottish version of cream soda).
Amongst the women, ready mixed drinks seem to be incredibly popular.
Usually these are in half-pint bottles and usually they are a mix of
bacardi rum with a fizzy fruit juice.

Obviously this is all anecdotal.  I'm aware that much of this is
describing a trend that has been in operation for decades.  I may be
wrong in feeling that it has accelerated dramatically in the last ten
years.

Not sure whether that answers all your queries.  There are quite a lot
of Scots practitioners on the Alcohol-Misuse list, so I'm copying this
correspondence to them.  I'll forward any responses to you.

Rowdy Yates

Senior Research Fellow

Scottish Addiction Studies

Sociology, Social Policy & Criminology Section

Department of Applied Social Science

University of Stirling

W: http://www.dass.stir.ac.uk/sections/scot-ad/
<http://www.dass.stir.ac.uk/sections/scot-ad/>