Dear All,

I would be grateful for some feedback on how you record on the transcript
the number of attempts a student has taken.  This is something which should
appear but we are still having some difficulty here - particularly when
considering what should be classed as an attempt.  The background to this
which adds a complication is that BCUC students are currently allowed to
carry forward a certain level of failure into their next year of study so we
have some differing views on whether an opportunity extended to them in this
situation but not taken up (since they don't formally have to do the work
until the following year) should be classed as an attempt or not.  A number
of our academics are insistent that this is an attempt - though there are
those of us (administrators) who beg to differ.  Also, since I don't believe
that any of us would regard failed work for which mitigating circumstances
are accepted to be an attempt then any such mark will have to be
disregarded.

It would be really useful to know if anyone else has a similar situation and
how they have resolved any problems they came across.  That aside, it would
also help to know whether you list all attempts on your transcripts (which
could be seen to be confusing) or else the final or highest mark gained but
with an indication of the number of attempts taken to get to gain that mark.
However, this raises the question of how you calculate the number of
attempts taken in circumstances where, for example, the second mark is
higher than the third and you would presumably be wishing to record the
higher mark on the transcript.  Would this be a case of 3 attempts or only
2??

Any help in saving my sanity would be gratefully received.

Many thanks

Rosemary Anderson
Senior Registrar (Assessments, Awards & Timetabling)
Academic Registry
Buckinghamshire Chilterns University College