There was a scheme for PG students about 5 years ago where students who
were either over 30 or completely self funding could claim tax relief
equivalent to personal tax, 22%.  The University would invoice students
less 22% and claim the difference from the Inland Revenue.  The student
had to complete a VTR1 form and the University would then be audited by
independent auditors ensuring the claim made to the Inland Revenue was
accurate.

This scheme was stopped in 2001-02 and I believe the student can claim
tax relief direct from their own tax office.  They require, I believe is
proof of payment made to the University and proof that they are on the
course

Hope this helps

Regards
Sonia