Dear All

Does anyone have any experience of dealing with the payment of London weighting to staff whose permanent work base is in London but where the main University location is outside of London?

HEFCE pays an institutional premium, linked to student FTEs, to directly-funded London-based HEIs for which the University of Essex does not qualify. However, since a full institutional merger in 2000, we have staff based at a college in outer London where a salary premium is the norm (e.g. in schools).  We are reviewing whether we should pay a London weighting to these staff (we currently do not) and I would be very interested to hear from you of any other cases of split site HEIs where the primary location is outside London. Do other institutions in a similar position (if there are any) receive a HEFCE premium based on their London student/ staff component? If not do you pay staff based in London a London weighting?

I would appreciate any answers or comments!

Many thanks

Sonia

Dr Sonia Virdee
Director of Strategic Planning
University of Essex
Wivenhoe Park
Colchester
CO4 3SQ

Tel: 01206 874681/2. Email [log in to unmask]