Dear colleagues

(Please do pass this on to colleagues in Admissions, Student Services,
Registry, Accommodation and any other colleagues with an interest)

You may remember that I mentioned in a recent email that the DTI was
redrafting their original guidance on the age discrimination regulations
and their application to 'vocational training' (which for the purposes
of the age legislation in the UK means all student provision at HEIs).

That redraft has now been completed. See
http://www.dti.gov.uk/employment/discrimination/age-discrimination/page2
6492.html for the revised article.

ECU believes that the sector requires further legal guidance on these
issues.  Recent conversations with sector bodies and communications with
individual institutions on the age regulations and student-facing issues
have confirmed that feeling.

We have therefore begun to explore the possibility of securing some
legal advice specifically on questions relating to minimum and maximum
age of entry to course/HEI; monitoring admission by age; the duties to
under 18s in accommodation and elsewhere eg on field trips and
placements; age-related funding practices; the issue of objective
justification and the kind of evidence that might be acceptable; and the
separate issue of the circumstances in which age limits or requirements
can be justified on positive action grounds

If there are other areas of uncertainty that you would like to add to
this list please let me know within the next ten days. Meantime do use
the FAQs on the website and our website links as a source of broad
guidance on some of these items...

I am working on a short Update for the sector on a checklist of action
points for the period up to 1 October but I am not going to be able to
get that out to you all until I come back again for my next week stint
ie week beginning June 19. I apologise. I know it would be helpful to
have it now not later but time is against me Im afraid...

With good wishes

Liz Sutherland

Liz Sutherland

Policy Adviser - Age

Equality Challenge Unit

 Please note our new contact details:

 Direct tel 020 7438 1018

 Fax 020 7438 1011

 Email [log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>

 Equality Challenge Unit

7th Floor, Queens House

55-56 Lincoln's Inn Fields

London WC2A 3LJ