From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Sarah Lewis
Sent: 27 April 2006 13:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: age discrimination- ACAS guidance-

Colleagues

The acas website (www.acas.org.uk) has been updated !

Sarah

From: HE Administrators equal opportunities list [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Liz Sutherland
Sent: 25 April 2006 16:13
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: age discrimination- ACAS guidance- student issues

Dear colleagues

Just to let you know the ACAS guidance Age and the Workplace on the age regulations is still not up on their website.  The ACAS publications department is however now taking orders for print copies tel 0870 242 9090. Their official line is that the guidance will now be up ‘late this week’ on the web.

I have actually managed to get a copy of the guidance. It includes some helpful model letters relating to the new requirements round retirement and some helpful flow charts which I am sure HR staff will find useful. Please do pass this information on to your HR colleagues.

However, the title of the guidance is an indication of its bias towards employment-facing matters. On the student-facing issues (or what ACAS term ‘vocational training’) I am disappointed to say that despite the efforts of ECU and others  the extent to which the guidance provides helpful advice on these issues is very limited. Rather than deal with the issue in any detail ACAS decided to commission the DfES to write an article on age and vocational training for the DTI website. The first version of that article (and the one that is still up on the DTI site) is not at all clear and we understand is currently being rewritten. We will let you know when the revised version becomes available.

Meanwhile those of you with student-related queries might find it helpful to know we have just found out that NIACE (the National Institute for Adult and Continuing Education)  has been commissioned by the DTI to offer a range of support services to the post-16 education sector on student-facing aspects of the new legislation. The NIACE website has a helpful guide to the regulations written from the perspective of post-16 education providers which goes further than ACAS guidance does (though it won’t of course have the same status in law as ACAS guidance which is in effect a voluntary code of practice).

NIACE is also offering a helpline service to assist ANY post-16 education provider (and students/trainees) which you might find helpful. From now on and until we are resourced to tackle age-related student issues we would like to suggest that if you have queries on student-related matters you go to NIACE in the first instance.

http://www.niace.org.uk/Research/older_bolder/Projects/AgeRegulations/default.htm

NIACE is also holding a conference on June 15 in Sheffield specifically for HE so I would recommend that HEIs with concerns round student issues attend this if they possibly can http://www.niace.org.uk/Conferences/Equality-Diversity.htm#Background

Given that as yet ECU is not resourced to tackle age-related student issues, the NIACE resource could be a great help to all of us, including to ECU. Looking to the longer term, I will be meeting with NIACE and with LSC to discuss what we might be able to do jointly in the future round guidance on student related issues.

All the best

Liz