Dear colleagues

With apologies for posting an attachment, but I thought that this email exchange was the quickest way to clarify for everyone in HEIs that there is no doubt that the age discrimination regulations will apply to all provision for students – admission procedures, regulations, course regulations, other student ‘benefits’ eg accommodation etc.

I hope this document helps everyone deal with queries which come their way on this topic or the related subtopic of what is meant by ‘vocational training’ with regard to HEIs,

We have had similar conversations with the equality and diversity team in the DfES on the topic and have been assured by them that their input to the ACAS guidance on the regulations (due out we hope by the end of this month) will reflect our discussions.

What this means in practice is that there is a constituency of Student Services Staff and other HEI staff who deal largely with admissions / course regulations/student services etc who need to be aware of the forthcoming legislation as well, a not inconsiderable challenge I appreciate. Please do forward this document and its covering email to any who may find it helpful.

With good wishes

Liz

Liz Sutherland

Policy Adviser - Age