Jannine

The Open University has recently created a group.

The LGBT staff network was created as one of a number of initiatives
during LGBT history month in February 2006. The group is still very new
and its purpose will evolve based on the expectations and wishes of its
members. However, one of the main purposes is to provide a mechanism for
lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender staff to make contact with each
other through an email network. The EO office established the list and
advertised it through various channels in February.  We have now handed
over the management of the list to a member of the group - it was always
the intention that it would be self managing.

I believe about 40 people have signed up to date and the first meeting
of the group is taking place this week.

We have also recently established a framework for staff support
groups/networks to operate within - the same framework would be used for
BME groups, disability groups, etc.  This is not yet finalised but will
set out what is expected of groups (such as publishing terms of
reference and contact details) and what support groups will get back
from the OU (which include the ability to apply for small grants, use of
facilities, equipment, etc.)

I don't see a difficulty in opening a group to wider participation, but
I would expect the members of the group to be involved in decision
making.

Tony

Tony O'Shea
Policy Officer for Equality and Diversity
The Open University
Tel. 01908 858073
Email. [log in to unmask]