-----Original Message-----
From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Scott, Nigel -
Biochemistry
Sent: woensdag 5 april 2006 16:44
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Urine creatine/creatinine ratios

Hi

Our consultant in Clinical Genetics has approached me regarding a newly
recognised X-linked mental retardation syndrome involving a mutation of the
creatine transporter gene SLC6A8. Boys with this mutation present with
limited speech and sometimes epilepsy and have been shown to have reduced
urine creatine/creatinine ratios.

I have been asked whether it would be possible to perform these measurements
on selected boys with mental retardation and I would be interested to hear
from anyone who is able to offer creatine levels.

Kind regards
Nigel Scott

Consultant Clinical Biochemist
Clinical Biochemistry Department
Northampton General Hospital
Northampton
NN1 5BD

Tel: 01604 545005
Fax: 01604 634347

Hi
There is a fairly newly recognised X-linked mental retardation syndrome,
with little speech and sometimes epilepsy, that has been shown to be due to
creatine problems - either failure of production or transportation across
the blood brain barrier. I am considering if it is possible to look for this
in selected boys with MR. The papers suggest doing a urine
creatine/creatinine ratio as a screen - is this feasible and what would it
cost? does it need a 24hr collection?
Sue

Northampton General Hospital NHS Trust
Cliftonville, Northampton NN1 5BD

This e-mail may contain confidential information and/or copyright material
and is intended for the use of the addressee only.   Any unauthorised use
may be unlawful. The contents of this e-mail may be subject to public
disclosure under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act
2000. Unless legally exempt, the confidentiality of the message and your
reply cannot be guaranteed.    If you receive this e-mail by mistake, please
advise the sender immediately.
Thank you.

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk