-----Original Message-----
From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Myers Martin (Dr)
Sent: 21 December 2006 12:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: AMA Wants Physician Oversight of Diagnostic Interpretation

I agree with Steve.  The situation in the UK is different to the USA and
the Consultant Clinical Scientists in the UK have MRCPath as well as a
scientific qualification.  Training for Clinical Scientists in the UK
includes the knowledge required to make diagnostic interpretation.  The
Clinical Pathology Accreditation (CPA) body in the UK has a standard
that defines what competences are required at the highest level in the
laboratory (see below) and, in part, the CPA B1 standard already
reflects the AMA concerns.  For Clinical Governance reasons it would be
unlikely that CPA would change this standard especially in light of the
debate in the US.

Happy Christmas

Martin Myers

B1 Professional direction:  Professional direction is essential for the
proper performance of a laboratory. B 1.1 Each discipline shall be
professionally directed by a consultant pathologist or clinical
scientist of equivalent status. Competence shall be demonstrated in the
following ways : a) by evidence of training and experience in a
pathology specialty as normally exemplified, in the United Kingdom, by
membership of the Royal College of Pathologists or its equivalent.
(Taken from CPA UK)