I agree with Steve.  The situation in the UK is different to the USA and the Consultant Clinical Scientists in the UK have MRCPath as well as a scientific qualification.  Training for Clinical Scientists in the UK includes the knowledge required to make diagnostic interpretation.  The Clinical Pathology Accreditation (CPA) body in the UK has a standard that defines what competences are required at the highest level in the laboratory (see below) and, in part, the CPA B1 standard already reflects the AMA concerns.  For Clinical Governance reasons it would be unlikely that CPA would change this standard especially in light of the debate in the US.

Happy Christmas

Martin Myers

B1 Professional direction:  Professional direction is essential for the proper performance of a laboratory.
B 1.1 Each discipline shall be professionally directed by a consultant pathologist or clinical scientist of equivalent status. Competence shall be demonstrated in the following ways : a) by evidence of training and experience in a pathology specialty as normally exemplified, in the United Kingdom, by membership of the Royal College of Pathologists or its equivalent.  (Taken from CPA UK)