First I agree with Johnathan that it's imperative
to understand the meaning of the words one uses.
This should not be brushed aside as mere
"semantics", and nothing to do with the real,
practical,  world in which we live and work;
furthermore it's important that agreement is
reached regarding the concepts that a word
represents.

In particular, it's essential that the scientific
definitions of terms should accord as closely as
possible with their common use in a language
(generally English); otherwise  confusion
inevitably occurs. Also that the definition
should be logically unimpeachable.

Anders Kallner  refers in this context to the
recommendations of the new  edition of VIM.

My (Italian) wife has a simple (albeit
statistically challengeable) test for deciding
whether an Italian cookbook  is worthy of
consideration: i.e.  its description of the
preparation of the well known Milanese dish "ossi
bucchi".  (Elizabeth David's Italian Cooking is
one of the few that survives this test.)

My own simple test of the trust one can place in
a glossary of scientific terms used the assay
field is its definition of the term
"sensitivity".  (This is, après tous, one of the
basic terms we all use to describe assay
performance;  moreover one of the common  aims of
the analyst is to maximize an assay's sensitivity
and precision. )

Note that, in general terms, an assay system or
instrument is viewed as more "sensitive" if it
enables measurement or detection of  a smaller
amount or quantity of that which the system is
designed to measure.  Countless examples of such
usage are to be found, for example, in articles
published in Scientific American.

  So what does VIM  say about sensitivity ?

4.12
sensitivity of a measuring system
sensitivity
quotient of the change in the indication of a
measuring system and the corresponding
change in the value of the quantity being measured

NOTES
1 The sensitivity can depend on the value of the quantity being measured.
2 The change considered in the value of the
quantity being measured must be large compared
with
the resolution of the measuring system.

Stated mathematically this somewhat opaque and
poorly presented definition (which quotient?) can
be re-written as dR/dD where dR is the change in
the response caused by a change in dose (ie the
quantity being measured) of dD; i.e the slope of
the dose-response curve . (Clearly dR/dD can
change if the curve is not linear).

Years ago I pointed out to René Dybkaer that this
definition is untenable.  He totally rejected
this charge. His position was that one can
define a word  in any way one  likes. (In a sense
this is, of course, true, but not if the outcome
is nonsense.) So I'm not in the least surprised
that this definition continues to be promulgated
in the latest edition of VIM.

So why is the definition nonsensical?

Members of this discussion group may remember my
posting a picture of two balances (again
attached) and asking which of the two balances
shown was the more sensitive  Regettably Dr
Dybkaer was not amongst the >100 members who
replied, so I can only wonder what his reply
would have been. Of those that replied,
approximately 47% opted for balance A, a roughly
equal number opted for balance B and the
remainder were 'don't knows'.

One may think members of the ACB have reached a
pretty pass if they don't know which of two
balances is the more sensitive. But they are to
be forgiven. The American Chemical Society has
defined  a balance's sensitivity (on different
occasions) as A. the movement of the  pointer on
the balance scale. and B. the rotation of the
balance beam, when a weight is placed on the pan.
In other words,  a definition that essentially
accords with the VIM definition.

It's perhaps not surprising that Mettler
subsequently published and circulated a long
protest explaining why it considered the ACS
definition(s) to be "unworkable" (the copy of
which I've unfortunately since lost).

But ACB members may not be interested in the
sensitivity of balances, so we should perhaps
move closer to their field by considering the
sensitivity of two RIAs. The second (attached)
diagram shows the response curves plotted using
the same system, but using Hi and Lo antibody
concentrations, plotting the (same data) data in
terms of Free/Bound (F/B) labelled antigen (1) or
B/F (2).

Someone plotting the data in terms of F/B guided
by VIM will conclude that sensitivity is improved
using the Lo amount of antibody; the converse if
he/she plots exactly the same  data in the form
of B/F.

Which is absurd.

And which represents another example of proving
the falsity of a premiss by showing the logical
consequence to be absurd.

Except that we are not proving the falsity of a
premiss, but the falsity of the definition of an
important term by VIM, and which its authors
refuse to retract.

This is again not a synthetic and academic
example (or a case of my being a pedant) with no
practical relevance. On countless occasions I've
witnessed  immunoassay practitioners reaching
totally incorrect conclusions in consequence of
not understanding the concepts underlying the
term "sensitivity".

And the fallacious concepts embodied in the VIM
definition  also formed the basis of Berson and
Yalow's theoretical work on RIA design, which
purportedly showed that an RIA system should rely
on the use of an antibody concentration that
binds 33% of the labelled antigen to maximize
assay sensitivity.

So I would suggest that one carefully examines
the definitions of terms advocated in VIM.

Roger Ekins

--
Regards

Roger

Molecular Endocrinology
University College London Medical School
London W1N 8AA

Fax +44 20 7580 2737
Phone +44 20 7679 9410

The information in this e-mail is confidential and may be legally
privileged. It is intended for the exclusive attention of the addressee
stated above and should not be copied or
disclosed to any other without the express
agreement of the sender.