So,how do we make this happen? What are the blocks and impediments in the way? Where method differences preclude common reference intervals can't we devise some way of getting around the situation?
Julian Barth is following this up with ACB,but,I agree with James,it's slow.Is the ACB the only professional body interested?
Ceridwen
-----Original Message-----
From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Jonathan Kay
Sent: 01 September 2006 12:36
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Clinical transferability of reports

I was about to reply along exactly the same lines as James. (But I would describe what we need as "clinical transferability" rather than "common reference intervals".)

This lack of transferability impedes attempts at knowledge management for laboratory medicine, as well as the development of computerised patient records. It's probably also clinically dangerous.

See also the previous debate about glycated haemoglobin.

The irony of course is that for domains where text is the output (eg radiology reports) the problem is less acute, as clinicians always have to try to understand what is in the report, and know that eg different radiologists report differently. (And that intentionally says "acute" and not "serious".)

Jonathan