-----Original Message-----
From: Clinical biochemistry discussion list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Lang, Tim
Sent: 21 December 2006 10:01
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Total Bilirubin and lipaemia interference in Neonatal samples

Dear List,
I would like to know how other laboratories deal with lipaemic samples
with respect to   total bilirubin assay. I am particularly interested in
those labs who are  supporting a SCBU or Neonatal ICU. In Belfast on the
Roche, the lipaemic index is set at 75. As a lot of neonates are on
continuous TPN ( with intraalipid infusion) we are finding that a
proportion of sample results are being held back due to this level. A
lot of these babies are also on phototherapy treatment so the total
bilirubin result is essential.
I would be grateful to the views of the mailbase.
Thanks in advance.
Tim

Dr Tim Lang
Principal Clinical Scientist
Clinical Biochemistry Department
Kelvin Building
Royal Victoria Hospital
Belfast
BT12 6BA
02890 633064
02890 234029 (Fax)

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

The information contained in this email and in any attachments
is confidential and is designated solely for the attention and use
of the intended recipient(s).

If you are not the intended recipient of this e-mail, you should
not use,disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any
part of it. If you have received this in error, please notify
me immediately and delete all copies of this email from your
computer system(s).

This email has been processed by an automated anti-virus system;
however it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that
the message(and attachments)is safe and authorized for use in their
own environment.