Yes, Jan, you're right about possible cost inflation.  Unless a protocol
for appropriate use of the i-STAT is agreed at the start and the person
(preferably someone with a frightening manner) supervising the system on
site ensures that this is followed and access is strictly controlled,
half the world will turn up with an urgent need to use it at every
opportunity.  So far, our sites are fairly self-contained and this
hasn't happened, but perhaps an ITU would be different.  Software
updates so far have been OK, but I can see potential problems there.

Dr MJ Pearson
Department of Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
Old Medical School
Leeds General Infirmary (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust)
LEEDS LS1 3EX
UK

tel   (44)-113-392-3945
fax  (44)-113 392-3453.

http://www.leedsth.nhs.uk

>>> Janice Still <[log in to unmask]> 06/24/06 12:39 PM >>>
I agree with Joan to a certain extent. We had i-Stat
in our ITU as they came as part of the Hewlett Packard
patient monitoring systems that were installed.We
found them difficult to manage effectively and
particularly costs ran away.The unit was using several
different cartridges for differing needs, and it
rapidly became clear that if the staff needed a
straight blood gas cartridge, but there were none
ready from the fridge,(a frequent occurrence) then
they would use an all-singing gases, electrolytes,
glucose,lactate, cartridge at twice the price.The
software updates every three months were a
NIGHTMARE.As hand held devices they were also horribly
easy to lose.

After the first year the staff had no confidence in
the system as we were getting a lot of potassium
flyers and the staff simply did not believe any of the
results. Costs were twice the budget. We removed the
system and went to a cartridge blood gas analyser from
IL and have had no problems.

They are extremely useful in ambulances, air
ambulances and other community uses, but I am not
convinced of their usefulness in an acute/critical
care setting over a well chosen and tested blood gas
analyser.

Jan Still,
Point of Care Testing Manager,
West Herts Hospitals.
--- Joan Pearson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> [...]
>
> The users are happy with the anaytical performance,
> but mostly unhappy
> with the "management" they have to do (apart from
> the CF unit where a
> superb senior physio runs an excellent system) -
> stock control/ordering,
> thinking ahead to take cartridges out of the fridge
> before use, keeping
> track of in-date stock.  You have to insist that a
> named person on site
> takes responsibility for supervision of all that and
> you have to
> organise them re training and QC/EQA and keeping
> proper records because
> they won't do it otherwise.  I think this is
> generally the case with
> POCT - they love it if someone else (ie lab staff)
> do all the
> maintenance etc., but never realise how much is
> necessary if we don't.
>
> Dr MJ Pearson
> Department of Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
> Old Medical School
> Leeds General Infirmary (Leeds Teaching Hospitals
> NHS Trust)
> LEEDS LS1 3EX
> UK
>
> tel   (44)-113-392-3945
> fax  (44)-113 392-3453.
>
> http://www.leedsth.nhs.uk

> 23/06/2006 12:02:29 >>>
> Dear All
>
> We are considering introducing the portable,
> hand-held i-Stat system
> onto Critical Care (and perhaps the emergency
> department) but we do
> not
> have any experience in the use of this bed-side
> technology.
>
> Does anyone have this system in place and would like
> to share his/her
> experience with us?
>
> Many thanks
>
> Shirley
> Dr Shirley Spoors
> Consultant Biochemist
> Department of Clinical Biochemistry
> Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation
> Trust

> This is an open discussion list for the academic and
> clinical
> community working in clinical biochemistry.
> Please note, archived messages are public and can be
> viewed
> via the internet. Views expressed are those of the
> individual and
> they are responsible for all message content.
> ACB Web Site
> http://www.acb.org.uk
> List Archives

> List Instructions (How to leave etc.)
> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/

> This is an open discussion list for the academic and
> clinical
> community working in clinical biochemistry.
> Please note, archived messages are public and can be
> viewed
> via the internet. Views expressed are those of the
> individual and
> they are responsible for all message content.

Mrs. J. Still,
POCT Manager,
Biochemistry Dept,
Watford General Hospital. 01923-217998.
The views expressed in this message are personal and do not reflect West
Herts NHS Hospitals Trust policy.