Shirley - I've recommended the i-STAT for 3 sites here so far (Cystic
Fibrosis unit, orthopaedic OTs - both at remote sites, and some OTs just
near our main site here) although these are not strictly speaking
critical care.  Our 9 ITUs, main OTs, several HDUs and 2 A&Es have blood
gas analysers.  There re 2 main reasons for recommending i-STAT:

- areas requiring short TAT, but with low test numbers, and/or sporadic
testing rather than constant throughput,
- staff shortages, meaning that we can't take on any more POCT blood
gas analyser support.

The i-STAT has a good track record analytically if used correctly, but
high cost per test, which matters  with high test numbers (if low or
sporadic, then costs compare favourably with a blood gas analyser with
constant throughput of calibrant/wash solns/electrode/membrane
replacements or time-limted cartridges).

The users are happy with the anaytical performance, but mostly unhappy
with the "management" they have to do (apart from the CF unit where a
superb senior physio runs an excellent system) - stock control/ordering,
thinking ahead to take cartridges out of the fridge before use, keeping
track of in-date stock.  You have to insist that a named person on site
takes responsibility for supervision of all that and you have to
organise them re training and QC/EQA and keeping proper records because
they won't do it otherwise.  I think this is generally the case with
POCT - they love it if someone else (ie lab staff) do all the
maintenance etc., but never realise how much is necessary if we don't.

Dr MJ Pearson
Department of Clinical Biochemistry & Immunology
Old Medical School
Leeds General Infirmary (Leeds Teaching Hospitals NHS Trust)
LEEDS LS1 3EX
UK

tel   (44)-113-392-3945
fax  (44)-113 392-3453.

http://www.leedsth.nhs.uk

>>> Shirley Spoors <[log in to unmask]> 23/06/2006 12:02:29 >>>
Dear All

We are considering introducing the portable, hand-held i-Stat system
onto Critical Care (and perhaps the emergency department) but we do
not
have any experience in the use of this bed-side technology.

Does anyone have this system in place and would like to share his/her
experience with us?

Many thanks

Shirley
Dr Shirley Spoors
Consultant Biochemist
Department of Clinical Biochemistry
Doncaster and Bassetlaw Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust

ACB Web Site
http://www.acb.org.uk
List Archives
List Instructions (How to leave etc.)