From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf
Of Greta Thornbory
Sent: 03 December 2006 11:53
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Coshh and mrsa

Hi Folks

I do think the debate on MRSA is interesting and was about to comment myself
when a colleague, better placed than myself, asked me to pass on the
following... (with which I whole heartedly concur)

Regarding the recent issue raised concerning MRSA relating to victims and
relatives of victims seeking to sue hospital trusts using COSHH.   Sooner or
later the spotlight will include C.Diff and other HAIs (hospital acquired
infections), it's simply a matter of time.

Victims and/or their relatives could use COSHH or, Section 3(1) of the
Health & Safety at Work Act instead if they choose. They do not have to
prove that MRSA was contracted while in hospital.   All they would have to
prove [on the balance of probabilities] is that the hospital trust failed to
adequately control the risk of infection [whether caused by or made worse by
their treatment]. Under S3(1) HSW 1974, the wording of the writ would change
ever so slightly, and use a form of words such as "the hospital trust (or
other health care institution) failed to conduct its undertaking in such as
way as to eliminate or, minimise the risk of infection....etc".

All the other debate concerning pre-employment screening is simply missing
the point.

Surely a much better way to deal with situation is to ensure that:

1. Adequate polices and procedures are in place to deal with infection
control

2. Employees (all of them) are appropriately informed and trained about the
chain of infection and infection control (something I am sure does not
happen properly)

3. There is appropriate monitoring and supervision to ensure that the
policies and procedures are followed.

Hence it is a management/infection control problem which OH should be
advising and supporting management to deal with - not running around wasting
time undertaking unnecessary and worthless screening procedures!

Cheers, Greta

Greta Thornbory
Consultant, Occupational Health & Education
Consultant Editor, OH Journal
www.gtenterprises-uk.com <http://www.gtenterprises-uk.com>
Tel: 01235 770156
Mob: 07778 518 027