From: "Gregory G. Monks" <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] whale bone cleaning
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 18:32:14 -0600

Hello Eduardo,
I'm not sure that there is a "rush" procedure for degreasing whale bones. They contain about 20% - 30% of a whale's total fat/oil, depending on the species. Of that amount, about 80% is in the skull. Chemical degreasing with something like trichloroethylene would be costly and potentially hazardous to a person's health. I spoke some time ago with Roel Lauwerier on this subject, and our comparative experience suggested that earlier peoples (Dutch, Northwest Coast of North America aboriginal people) may have drained whale bones by suspending them, keeping them warm, and cutting the cortex (which is very thin) to expose the cancellous bone within. The warmed fatty marrow liquified enough, I suspect, to drain out and was collected. It could be that drilling holes in the bones and immersing them, where feasible, in warm water would produce a similar effect. You could also collect the oil and use it for whatever. Roel said the Dutch used it as lubricant for watches. Northwest Coast aboriginal peoples ate it with dried fish.
As for bleaching the bones, the thin cortex could easily be attacked by chemical treatment like hydrogen peroxide. I'd avoid chemicals unless colour is very important. Sunlight might be an alternative.
I hope this may be of help.

Regards,
Greg Monks

Gregory G. Monks, Ph.D.