Dear Chen,

> thanks replay. Please correct me if I am wrong. Jones's paper discussed
> about the non-normally distribution residual after applied different
> smoothing filter on FA multiple subjects' analysis under GLM method. If the
> residual has non-normally distribution, does it means this statistic method
> did not fit previously hypothesis ? so the FA analysis should not use GLM
> method to perform statistic inference but rather use non-parametric method ?
> Or it still could use GLM method to analysis FA image ?

As I said, I haven't actually read Dereks paper (which I probably
should), but I'll still try to reply.

As you increase the filter width the intensity in any given voxel
becomes a mixture of intensities from a larger and larger number of
voxels. Hence, by virtue of the central limit yada yada the values will
become increasingly normal distributed. Hence, by using a wider filter
you may pre-condition your data to better adhere to the assumption of
normal distributed errors.

The other effect of filter width comes from the matched filter theorem,
causing you to become less sensitive to focal activations with small
spatial extent and more to widespread activations with large spatial
extent.

As for the use of GLM. Even when your errors are not normal distributed
you can still use the GLM to derive meaningful parameter estimates such
as "mean FA in group 1", even though these may no longer be ML
estimates. Also, it may still be meaningful to form a t-statistic and
interpret it in terms of "reliability of difference between group 1 and
group 2".

The problem comes if you then try to calculate a p-value for that
t-statistic y assuming that it is t-distributed, because it is likely
not to be.

I think it is quite useful for you to conceptually divide your analysis
into "estimation" and "inference" (for lack of better terminology),
where the first step refers to the estimation of parameters and a
test-statistic (e.g. t) and the second to the translation
test-statistic->p-vale. It is (mainly) at the second step that you will
have problems when your data are not normal distributed.

For this reason (and reasons of efficiency when you have low df) I would
suggest using randomisation tests when you have reason to believe that
you have non-normal data. That way you are not forced to impose a lot of
smoothness (that you may or may not want to have in your data) and you
know that your test is always valid. The only cost it comes with is a
little extra processing time.

Most often this means still using the GLM machinery for estimation of
parameters and test-statistic. It is only the final step (the t->p
translation) that you replace.

Good luck Jesper