A belated thanks to all who replied to my query about exhibiting special
collections material.

Respondents used a range of approaches from cutting light exposure with
blinds; using ultra-violet filters; limiting exhibition duration (e.g.
from 1 week to 3 months or by confining exhibition opening to office
hours); employing facsimiles and avoiding the exhibition of 'treasures'.

One respondent sent a preservation policy statement providing detailed
information on environmental and security factors. Another agreed that in
a library, objects are exposed to ambient light outwith exhibition, though
I think this makes it even more important to put limitations on exhibition
times as light damage is cumulative.

The issue of wear and tear also came up. Whilst this could be reduced by
not exhibiting items repeatedly and limiting exhibition duration (so that
volumes are not left with a 'memory' of the opening), some institutions
tend to produce the 'treasures' or talking points of their collections
again and again for visitors which must, no matter how carefully they're
handled, lead to physical degradation.

Sharon Connell