Tried a few times to send a reply to this and our email threw a wobbler, so
apolgies if anyone already has a varient of this.

I think there are a few things you should be doing.

1. Review your practice of sending payslips in this way. I would never
recommend that a client sends these by normal post. At least do it
registered post so there is some tracking available. I think sending a batch
through normal post is a mistake. Also consider sending them singly, then if
one goes astray they don't all go.

2. PLEASE consider identity fraud a credible threat. It is irrelevant that
it is a close-knit community, it is possible (unlikely, but possible) that
these payslips are now in somwhere like London, where no one would know them
from Adam. There are so many things you can do with just a name and an NI
number and no bank account number.

I suggest liasing with those affected to manage the risk so that banks etc.,
can at least be informed of the possible issues. Banks are the last
companies to ever admit anything is wrong, so anything you can do BEFORE
something happens is a good move, as trying to argue with a bank after the
fact is a slow and painful process. I personally don't think this will be an
issue, but I think you need to accept the risk and deal with it in a
measured way.

3. I don't think the RM will accept liability, unless you have proof of
postage in some way - see my point 1.

Sorry to be the bearer of negativity!

Simon Howarth.