This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

I feared that might well be the case.  I suspect some places are simply breaking the law, but I just cannot do that.  Thanks for letting me know your position.  It makes me feel less bad!  Kate

-----Original Message-----
From: Social History Curators Group email list
[mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of Maggie Wood
Sent: 14 December 2005 14:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [SHCG-LIST] hideous fire exit signs

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of this message.
---------------

Dear Kate -
I work in a museum housed in a Grade 1 listed building, built in the 17th
century.
We also have illuminated signs above the doors which are fire exits, and it
has never been up for negotiation - either with fire officers, the county
council, or English Heritage. We have to have the signs!

Maggie Wood
Keeper of Social History
Warwickshire Museum Service

                      "Osborne, Kate"
                      <[log in to unmask]            To: [log in to unmask]
                      V.UK>                              cc:
                      Sent by: Social History  Subject: [SHCG-LIST] hideous fire exit signs
                      Curators Group email
                      list

                      14/12/2005 12:37
                      Please respond to
                      Social History Curators
                      Group email list

This is an email sent via the SHCG List. If you reply to this message, your
message will be sent to all the people on the list, not just the author of
this message. ---------------

Hello All

I'd be really grateful for advice or experiences from those of you running
historic houses.  We are just recreating as authentically as we can an
Elizabethan kitchen and parlour in what was a post reformation town house
and ex-monastery fragment in Exeter.

Having gone to enormous trouble to get things right we are now told we have
to have illuminated exit signs in very prominent places within those
historic rooms.  I have been in plenty of other places where this isn't the
case.  Now either everyone's breaking the law or they've had seriousl y
successful negotiations with their Fire Officers.

If anyone out there has managed to negotiate having less intrusive
approaches I'd really like to hear from you!  Many thanks in advance....

Kate

Kate Osborne
Access Officer
Exeter City Museums Service
Royal Albert Memorial Museum
Queen Street
EXETER  EX4 3RX

email:   [log in to unmask]
tel:  01392 665965

IMPORTANT NOTICE:
This email is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is for the
intended recipient only. Access, disclosure, copying, distribution or
reliance on any of it by anyone else is prohibited and may be a criminal
offence. Please delete if obtained in error.

Attention:
This message and its contents are confidential and may also be privileged.
If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately;
after notifying the sender kindly delete the message. Unless you are the
intended recipient you must not copy the e-mail, use it for any purpose nor
disclose its contents to any other person. This message has been scanned
for computer viruses, however Exeter City Council does not accept any
liability in respect of damage caused by any virus that is not detected.

The SHCG list is provided for members of Social History Curators Group to
discuss subjects relevant to social history in museums. To join SHCG visit
www.shcg.org.uk . Opinions expressed in this email are the responsibility
of the author and are not necessarily shared by SHCG. To leave the list do
not reply to this message but send an email to [log in to unmask] with
a blank subject line and these words as the body of the email: SIGNOFF
SHCG-LIST