On Wed, 14 Dec 2005, Norman Gray wrote:

> There seems to be an updated list of instructions for Java packaging at
> <http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Java/Conceptual/Java14Development/index.html>.
>
> It mentions a tool called Jar Bundler, but I think this is just a GUI tool
> which does the directory-layout tasks the document describes.  The
> instructions include copying a JavaApplicationStub, which appears to be a
> Java-launching application which potentially does whatever voodoo is required
> to make the menu bar appear in the correct place.  I get the impression that
> setting the appropriate flag in the Info.plist is the recommended way of
> setting the GUI-tweaking properties.

If at all possible, I'd strongly suggest staying away from Jar Bundler.
Try to find something else to package up a Java program for OS X. My two
strongest hatreds for this program are:

1) Cannot save any state between runs. If you create a package, close Jar
Bundler, change one little file in your Java program, then want to create
a package with Jar Bundler again, you have to start from scratch.

2) Adding files/directories to the CLASSPATH is painful if you have more
than 10 to add, because Jar Bundler only allows you to add them one at a
time. Coming up with a package for the Observing Tool takes me 15-30
minutes just because of this stage.

That said, you could probably use Jar Bundler first to create all of the
directory structure and required files (like the Info.plist file), then
come up with a script that'll just use that as a template for future
package creation.

Cheers,
  Brad.