On Thu, 1 Dec 2005, No Name wrote:

>> knows how long that will take. In the meanwhile we've had very good success
>> using the "g95" compiler (www.g95.org) and can now build the full CVS tree
>> and some of us are using this regularly.
>
> Thank you very much Peter for your very useful reply. My system managers
> seem unwilling to install g95 (I will do it myself if need be),

Hi Tom,

I had envisioned you doing all this yourself. Getting and using g95 is
easy (just an untar and the creation of a softlink). Also the CVS code
base is fairly fluid (you'd be surprised at how many changes are still
being made) so isn't ready for replacing the current Starlink
installation, if that's what you had in mind.

> but they do support the commercial intel fortran compiler 'ifort'. Do
> you or anyone else know whether STARLINK can be built with gcc and
> ifort?

I've built it using ifort and gcc3. That works, but the resulting binaries
are largely untested. In fact I've just updated my build and it seems
quite basic programs that access HDS data files are not working. I'll try
to find out why, but as you can see, this is a risky route!

Cheers,

Peter.