Dear all,

Welcome to the December edition of the NRICH site (nrich.maths.org). In
December, April and August we have a smaller publication which means that
the monthly problems have not changed, but don't worry, we do have several
extras to offer.

Our Advent Calendar
(<http://nrich.maths.org/public/viewer.php?obj_id=4772>) contains a
different mathematical game for each of the twenty four days in Advent.
Click on the date every day in December for a new game which you can
challenge pupils to play against each other.

Mathematics is all around us - our picture puzzler, Circle Panes
(<http://nrich.maths.org/public/viewer.php?obj_id=4773>), is good evidence
of this. The window in this photograph is quite amazing. Can students
estimate its size? Do they think it would have been difficult to build?
Can they justify why or why not?

There are two additional articles this month for those of you teaching at a
higher level, one focusing on Proof by Contradiction
(<http://nrich.maths.org/public/viewer.php?obj_id=4717>) and the other on
Mathematical Induction
(<http://nrich.maths.org/public/viewer.php?obj_id=4718>).  Do read them
yourself before drawing them to the attention of your students.

This month also sees the publication of the first "Mathematics Trails" book
written by members of NRICH and published by Cambridge University Press.
The book is an organised set of problems designed to develop pupils'
generalising skills and contains teachers' notes as well as solution
guidance.  More details will follow very soon - do keep an eye out on the
NRICH website.  Details of the partnership between CUP and the MMP can be
found at
<http://www.cambridge.org/uk/education/downloads/CUP-PR_nrichJC.pdf>.

Members of NRICH have also produced a CD-ROM in conjunction with Virtual
Image.  The "Exploring Squares" CD-ROM contains a collection of 25
mathematical posters on the theme of squares. Each poster is presented with
teachers' notes and a series of questions designed to generate discussions
of mathematical concepts. The posters are ideal for lesson starters and
will help to develop investigative and problem-solving skills.  For further
information and details of how to go about ordering a licence, see
<http://www.virtualimage.co.uk/html/nrichsquares.htm>.

Oh - and this is only by way of advanced warning - please take the time to
update your Flash Player to the latest version 8
(<http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version
=ShockwaveFlash>). The sooner you are ready the sooner we can start making
even better mathematical environments.

With best wishes from The NRICH Team.

Liz Pumfrey
NRICH Primary Teacher Research Associate
University of Cambridge Centre for Mathematical Sciences
Wilberforce Road
Cambridge
CB3 0WA
01223 764246