Dear List,
Can anyone tell me how stamps were used in copper dressing?  They are generally associated with tin rather than copper in Devon and Cornwall, but I've just come across a reference to a stamping house at Wheal Crebor, West Devon, in 1811.  The mine is not known to have produced tin (other than occasional small parcels) and was primarily copper, with some arsenic later in the C19.  Strangely, the known crusher house at Crebor only seems to have had a 16ft wheel, while the probable stamps had a much bigger, perhaps 30ft wheel.  Its normally the other way round isn't it?  Unfortunately we can't compare the buildings as both have disappeared without trace.
Robert Waterhouse