Marjorie Greene <[log in to unmask]> wrote:    medieval-religion: Scholarly discussions of medieval religion and culture

>In this way I suppose that the same act could be described as either
>adultery or fornication depending which person was being accused and what
>their station in life was. Does anyone have a problem with this ?

I do. I believe that sex with a married person, not one's spouse, is
adultery regardless of the state in life of the person having sex with the
married person.

  *********

  Respondeo: Quite right too. Paragraph 2380 of the Catechism states: "Adultery refers to marital infidelity. When two partners, of whom at least one is married to another party, have sexual relations - even transient ones - they commit adultery."

  Note that it says THEY commit adultery, not that one commits adultery and the other fornication.

  Bill.

  Play Santa's Celebrity Xmas Party, an exclusive game from Yahoo!

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]