Until not too many years ago, deacons in the Oriental Churches were
permitted to marry, prior to ordination to the priesthood. When the
Vatican made the change to prohibit deacons from marrying, the Pope made
an exception for those who were already deacons at that time.

Roman rite permanent deacons in Alaska who are Eskimo have the right to
remarry, if their wives die. This was approved by John Paul II.

Terrill
Bill East wrote:

> As canon 1087 puts it, 'Those who are in sacred orders invalidly
> attempt marriage.' (Invalide matrimonium attentant, qui in sacris
> ordinibus sunt constituti.) It is this canon, and not any vow, which
> prevents priests (and indeed _deacons_ and bishops) from getting
> married.

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]