Yesterday (2. December) was the day of remembrance of:

Oderisius I, abt. of Monte Cassino (blessed; d. 1105).  O., a scion of
the counts of the Marsi, was educated at Monte Cassino under abbot
Richerius.  In 1059 pope Nicholas II ordained him cardinal deacon; for
close to thirty years O. served the papacy in Rome.  In 1087 he was back
at Monte Cassino as prior and in September of that year he was elected
abbot to replace Desiderius II (now pope Victor III).  Famous for his
correspondence with the emperor Alexius I Comnenus in support of the
First Crusade, O. continued Desiderius' work in bringing the abbey to a
state of proper splendor and usefulness.  He was responsible for a major
expansion of the abbey's library and promoted the work of its
scriptorium, many of whose products are described in Francis Newton's
monumental study, _The Scriptorium and Library at Monte Cassino,
1058-1105_ (Cambridge U.P, 1999).  Well known Cassinensians from the
period of O.'s tenure include the hagiographer and chronicler Leo
Marsicanus and O.'s young kinsman the future St. Berard, bishop of the
Marsi.

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]