The site is frequently covered in surveys of the ancient city of Rome;
what one usually sees in photographs are shops (acc. to Filippo
Coarelli, not later than the 1st century CE and quite possibly of
Neronian construction after the fire of 64) facing a fairly wide
street.  Coarelli's _Roma_ in the Guide Archeologiche Laterza
series, "nuova ed., 1997", pp. 369-71 has a useful discussion and plan
showing the location of remains under Sant'Anastasia (whose orientation
follows that of the Circus Maximus, whereas these are at right angles
to it).  Carmelo Calci's very handy _Il libro di Roma archeologica_
(Roma: Adnkronos Libri, 2000) has a discussion indicating that the
entrance to the _scavi_ is on the south side of the church, that access
is "su richiesta", and that the area is under the control of
Soprintendenza Archeologica di Roma.

Calci provides one photograph; Carlo Pavia's _Guida Archeologica di
Roma_ (Roma: Gangemi, 2001; better for one's room than for carrying
around) has several in the lengthy and unpaginated dossier making up
the second half of the book (look for 'Le botteghe del Circo
Massimo').  A better bet would be Pavia's _Guide to Underground Rome /
Guida di Roma sotterranea_ (Gangemi, 2000), which I don't have.

As some may have guessed from the raised walkways in the views I
provided, the Sant'Anastasia at Sardara (CA) is also adjacent to an
archeological site.  This one too is of some importance: not ancient
Roman, though, but Nuragic and including an underground sacred well
complex that's open to visitors when the site is (when visiting on
one's own, one is advised to check first with the Comune di Sardara to
make sure that there's no temporary closure due to excavation in
progress).  Some Italian-language descriptions of the site and one of
the related archeological museum are here:
http://www.ilportalesardo.it/archeo/sardara.htm
http://www.sacoronaspa.it/anastasia.html
http://www.coopvillabbas.sardegna.it/anastasia.htm
http://www.coopvillabbas.sardegna.it/museo.htm
More photographs are here:
http://www.paradisola.it/foto-sardegna/cat.asp?iCat=83&offset=8

A bit TANnish, perhaps, but sacred wells are a recurrent topic of
interest on this list.

Best again,
John Dillon

On Thursday, December 29, 2005, at 8:05 am, Marjorie Greene wrote:

> I saw that "possible to see" but didn't know how to interpret. It
> may mean
> things are visible but not open to tourists as the scavi under Sta
> Pudenziana.
> Thanks,
> MG
>

> >From: John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
> >To: [log in to unmask]
> >Subject: Re: [M-R] saints of the day 25. December
> >Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2005 22:49:41 -0600
> >
> >I haven't been over there recently, but according to this:
> >http://www.tours-italy.com/rome/churches.htm
> >, the answer is yes.
> >
> >Best,
> >John Dillon
> >
> >On Wednesday, December 28, 2005, at 10:32 pm, Marjorie Greene wrote:
> >
> > > "Underneath the church are the ruins of an ancient portico
> from the
> > > 1st
> > > century AD, as well as ruins of a group of insulae (multi-storied
> > > dwellings)."
> > > Do you happen to know if these ruins are open to tourists?

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]