Masses must be celebrated during the day for which the Mass is authorized.
This is especially important on Sundays and holydays, days on which one is
obliged to attend Mass. Traces of this remain in Roman Catholic Canon Law,
e.g.

1917 Code of Canon Law, Titulus III canons 31ff. at
<http://www.geocities.com/catholic_profide/codex.htm>
and .
1983 Code of canon Law, Titulus IX. canons 200ff. at
<http://www.ourladyswarriors.org/canon/c0200-0203.htm>.

Canon 31 of the 1917 code says "salvis legibus liturgicis": references to
those liturgical laws, which is what you want, are often in the general
notes at the beginning of the missals or sacramentaries. How early they may
be found there I do not know. The earliest one I have on hand is the Missal
of Pius V.

Maureen A. Tilley
Coordinator of Undergraduate Studies
President, North American Patristics Society
University of Dayton, Department of Religious Studies
Dayton, OH 45469-1530
(937) 229-4564

|---------+---------------------------------->
|         |           "Daniel K. Gullo"      |
|         |           Sent by:               |
|         |           medieval-religion -    |
|         |           Scholarly discussions  |
|         |           of medieval religious  |
|         |           culture                |
|         |           <MEDIEVAL-RELIGION@JISC|
|         |           MAIL.AC.UK>            |
|         |                                  |
|         |                                  |
|         |           12/02/2005 11:47 AM    |
|         |           Please respond to      |
|         |           medieval-religion -    |
|         |           Scholarly discussions  |
|         |           of medieval religious  |
|         |           culture                |
|---------+---------------------------------->
  |       To:       [log in to unmask]                                                                             |
  |       cc:                                                                                                                    |
  |       Subject:  [M-R] Pre-Dawn Mass                                                                                          |

Dear all,

I read yesterday a papal bull authorizing the offering of
pre-dawn mass for the pilgrims of Montserrat.  Several
moanstic historians at Montserrat have metioned this bull.
However, none of them explain why such a bull was needed?
Was there a rule forbidding the celebrations of the mass at
night, or let us say, in the dark? If so, can anybody offer
me information on when such prohibitions were put in place?

Thanks so much

to: [log in to unmask]
to: [log in to unmask]

to: [log in to unmask]