IV Meeting of Organizational Studies - Call for papers and activities

ANPAD/PPGA Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul
Porto Alegre, Brazil – June 4 to 6, 2006

IV EnEO is a consequence of previous Meetings and also of debates and suggestions produced in the Panel space held in XXIX EnANPAD. The Panel “Preparing the EnEO 2006” was initiated with the reading of a text designated as Organizar no espaço-tempo apropriado: teoria, política e prática (“Organize in the appropriated space-time: theory, politics and practice”), that has been forwarded to the invitees. Thus, a first version of the ideas expected to comprise the event’s General Theme was presented to the audience. The contribution of the panel members, followed by numerous interventions of the participants, showed the property of the indicated theme. Besides, all the participations have pointed out the need for innovation of the event’s formats and papers. This call wants to express the most part of the suggestions.

As every one knows, EnEO is an event of the Division of Organizational Studies of ANPAD. The 2006 edition will take place in Porto Alegre , at the facilities of the Federal University of the State of Rio Grande do Sul.

Theory and practice appropriation may be understood in many ways, among which we mention: to honor our intellectual tradition, to approach themes relevant to our time and space, to interact in society as academics and citizens concerned with our life and work context, to incorporate traces of our cultural identity as knowledge producers. It is not about adopting naïve nationalism, nor the isolation in relation to what is done in the rest of the world. What is intended is to put in doubt where is the center around which we organize and produce. Doing so, evidently, we raise the possibility that this center is located here. Here may and must have many meanings: here in global south, here in Latin America and in our proximity with African countries, specially those of Portuguese language, here in Brazil and its enormous diversities of places and regions. Therefore, IV EnEO will be organized around the central theme:
appropriating theory and practice, displacing the center.

We expect a great variety of contributions, once the central theme of this call for the works expresses a concern that for sure rounds our community of organizations studies yet not in a clearly expressed manner. Therefore, if there is a challenge in this proposal, this is to explicit our positions, reflections and uncertainties about the appropriation of our academic production.

Besides the objective of the Meetingproportionate interaction, dialogue and debate, reflections and articulation opportunity approaching the central theme herein presented, it is important to explicit a little more what we expect to become reality during our acquaintanceship in Porto Alegre:
debates about different theoretical perspectives, always considering the center of our context;
interaction moments with other disciplinary fields, seeking for mutual fecundation;
spaces adequate to the articulation and the exchange among researchers and research groups, where experiments and projects may be debated and shared;
meetings with the characters/organizations that build the daily living in the city and in the region that will host us.

The submission of papers or the activities’ proposal may be done in different modalities, that is:

A1 – COMPLETED PAPERS – must be considered as Completed Papers those that the authors consider matured, ready for the result presentation and possible research development.

A2 – PAPERS UNDER CONSTRUCTION - must be considered as Papers Under Construction those in which the intellectual and reflexive process in under progress, with non-usual theoretical and methodological approaches and/or utilizing interdisciplinary interventions. Construction does not mean not finished due to time circumstances or research phase, but something different that is on a moment of doubts and uncertainties, requesting the discussion and exchange with academy partners.

A3 – INTERFACES BETWEEN ART AND ORGANIZATIONAL STUDIES – Papers or activities may be registered, such as videos or movies, dramas, exhibitions of etnophotographs, visual anthropology, among so many other possibilities.

A4 – COLLECTIVE SESSIONS – spaces for dialogue and articulation between: 1) nets and research groups constituted that want to present their production, results and future projects; and 2) researchers that share study themes or theoretical references even if not constituted as nets or formal research groups. The JOINT SESSIONS may be proposed through integrating summary accompanied of summaries of each presentation. EnEO’s organization will proportionate, within the programming, moments and physical spaces for dialogue and articulation meetings after the presentation of the joint sessions.

The author(s) must indicate on the moment of their papers submission, in which modality he intend to register. Maximum of three (3) papers per author included the set of four (4) modalities proposed.

Enlarged Summaries

The selection of the papers, in each one of the four (4) modalities above mentioned will be made based upon an enlarged summary, with minimum one page and a half, and maximum three pages of text, simple space. Summaries may have up to two (2) pages if they contain photos or other graphic forms. It is necessary to make it clear the Central Theme of the Meeting.

09/01/2006 - Address opening for the receipt of submissions
10/03/2006 - Deadline for submission of Enlarged Summaries
21/03/2006 - Publication of the results of selected Summaries
20/04/2006 - Deadline for submission of Completed Papers
02/05/2006 - Deadline for registration of the selected papers
15/05/2006 - Publication of the programming on the Internet
24/05/2006 - Release of the papers for reading on the site
04/06/2006 - Registration and beginning of the event

More information is available in the site of the Meeting: http://www.anpad.org.br/frame_eventos_eneo2006-p.html