Hi, group,

I'm Marty Kurth. I'm Head of Metadata Services at Cornell University
Library. (http://www.library.cornell.edu/cts/metadataservices/) I've led
that unit for the past three years. Before then, I'd managed cataloging
units or departments in academic libraries since 1988. Our unit has mapped
into various flavors of DC for OAI purposes, created DC application
profiles, and defined some encoding schemes for use primarily in a DC
context. Re RDA, I'd like to see libraries and other information service
providers get as much mileage as they can out of what library people know
about resource description. It's hard (for me) to say to what extent
non-library providers might be able to apply something like RDA, but I
think it's still worth developing RDA with non-library uses in mind.  On a
related note, I'm not exactly sure what resource description ought to look
like or how it ought to behave when it's intended to serve with full text
to enable access, but I'm interested to hear what smart library people have
to say about such things. All of the above is why I signed up for this gig,
I guess. The game is afoot!

Happy holidays, all,

Marty