I don't know how far DCMI is prepared to stray from the proposed definitions, so I tried to stay as close to the DCMI proposed as possible:  "A computer program in source or compiled form which may be available for installation nontransiently on another machine."

Another suggestion is: "A resource which is encoded information used to store and process information as part of a computer system."   This is a based on the definition of (computer) software in Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software.

And, I suggest removing the second  "." after the Sound definition.

Gregory Renaud
Information Management Strategies Division / La Division des stratégies de gestion de l'information
Chief Information Officer Branch / Direction du dirigeant principal de l'information
Treasury Board of Canada, Secretariat / Secrétariat du Conseil du Trésor du Canada
Ottawa, Canada   K1A 0R5
telephone / téléphone  (613) 946-6280
facsimile / télécopieur  (613) 946-9342