Postcoloniality, care and responsibility

A paper session sponsored by the DARG and WGSG Research Groups
of the RGS-IBG.

RGS-IBG Annual International Conference 2006, 'Global social
justice and environmental sustainability', 30th August - 1st September
2006, Royal Geographical Society, London.

In this session we aim to explore the intersections between care,
responsibility and postcoloniality to bring together research from
people working on these topics from different angles - development
geography, feminist geography and postcolonial geography. Responsibility
and postcoloniality offer interesting, interrelated ways of
understanding present day global events and relationships and are
becoming central for geographers and the discipline's redefinition of
itself. For instance, development geographers have for some time been
arguing that the effects of global poverty spread far beyond the people
who feel its weight (Echanove, 2005) and that wealthier inhabitants of
global cities like London should take responsibility for the
exploitation that the city now brings, and historically has brought, to
provide the resources that establish and maintain its status (Massey,
2004). This is a central issue for postcolonial thinkers who are
concerned with tracing how present day inequalities and responsibilities
are constituted through the history of colonialism. But these
responsibilities are not only recognized through economic and social
linkages but are also often invoked through the emotional register.
Responsibility in the postcolonial present must be then seen not only as
a rational move or one that is traced through political or ethical
considerations, but also one that is operationalised through global
circuits of care. In this session we therefore explore the links between
care, responsibility and postcoloniality.

The session aims to address issues such as what responsibilities we at
the end of globally spread out care chains have; how the philosophical
literature on responsibility can be reworked through the lens of
postcoloniality; and what the role of the 'public' is in postcolonial
responsibilities of care.

We want to think about how we can labour towards a responsibility in
which changing global injustices (upon which academic geography too is
maintained) is seen as a responsibility that results from the
participation of millions of people and numerous institutions that both
support and resist unjust global structures. How can this be in practice
a shared responsibility, involving a recognition that we are all
connected to structural processes that produce injustice, but that we
are not all equally positioned in these efforts and our responsibilities
are therefore not equal, not even equivalent? Finally, what routes can
be employed in working towards a global ethic of care and how can this
be operationalised through our ways of being, including our research
methods and academic lives?

Towards this we seek expressions of interest from people working in
areas such as (but not restricted to):
* ethics and responsibility
* postcolonial responsibility
* emotional geographies and care
* global care chains
* postcolonial research methods and responsibility
* global injustice and global care: how is this operationalised in
practice?
* caring for the environment - a postcolonial frame
* diasporas, responsibility and care

We also actively encourage the use of alternative creative presentation
formats, such as poetry, prose, animation and art work, however defined.

Please send all submissions, using the abstract submission form at
http://www.rgs.org/category.php?Page=ac2006
<http://www.rgs.org/category.php?Page=ac2006>;
<http://www.rgs.org/category.php?Page=ac2006
<http://www.rgs.org/category.php?Page=ac2006>; > to one of the
convenors:

Clare Madge [log in to unmask]

Or

Pat Noxolo [log in to unmask]

Or

Parvati Raghuram [log in to unmask]

The abstracts should be no more than 200 words. The deadline for
submission of abstracts is January 17th, 2006.