From: Discussion List for Contemporary and Historical Archaeology on behalf of James Dixon
Sent: Wed 21/12/2005 06:07
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Contemporary Archaeology in Practice

i think that it's more interesting to think about
structures than about buildings. i've done work in
sheffield recently highlighting a piece of
scaffolding. in london, we work with such docs as the
London Views Management Framework which (forgetting
the flaws of the particular views it aims to preserve)
ignores the fact that any view over London is
dominated by cranes and scaffolding. The rate of
development is such that i can't see the 'ideal
skyline' existing any time soon.

so in a sense, the london skyline is 'world famous'
yet dominated by ephemera.

how do we deal with this?

jim
pca