Dear All

I am increasingly impressed with the level of debate going on amongst our
company. Helpful moments of clarification have doubtless been occurring for
many of us (as Mark's latest email suggests) as well as moments of
increasing confusion for many of us (probably with significant overlap
between the people in those two categories).

If Grant's clarification regarding Mark's point reassures Mark to some
extent and, furthermore, if Chomsky agrees with Baudrillard, then that may
make some of us a little less suspicious of accounts appearing under the
heading of "postmodern".

Postmodernism still has a case to answer, however. Certainly in a clinical
setting I have experienced its influences as: drawing greater attention to
meaning rather than material circumstances as factors in people's lives; as
acting as a fertilizer to increasingly inaccessible accounts of the world we
live in; as promoting an idealist version of reality and challenging the
notion of an external reality (and yes I do know that we are stuck with the
inaccessibility of an objective reality but what I worry about is that
definitions of reality tend to be made by those in positions of power).

I have tried to say this as briefly and straightforwardly as possible,
largely because I would like to see these ideas subjected to our joint
scrutiny.

I recognise that I have, in this communication, drawn us towards a clinical
perspective and away from a more global one. I am afraid that, given the
material circumstances within which I earn my living, it is likely that I
will do so. I hope though, that this debate is one which can span the micro
and macro and draw connections between them and the intervening levels of
analysis.

Yours in wage slavery

Carl