From: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">Rebekah Pratt
To: [log in to unmask] href="mailto:[log in to unmask]">[log in to unmask]
Sent: Tuesday, December 13, 2005 3:12 PM
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] On the subject of conferences...

Hi Wendy,

Good to hear you back on the list!  I too have been struggling with juggling family commitments, work and the knowledge required to keep up with some of the recent contributions - so that was nice for me to read your comments on that too.

Wendy I agree that it will never be 100% right, but I admire the discussions you have initiated and feel sure that will positively impact our next gathering.

I just want to re-emphasize my previous point about raising the stakes in relation to increasing the diversity of our contributions at conferences.  By diversity I personally would like to see deliberate and committed space made for marginalised groups and perspectives, for feminist thought, for LGBT issues, for the area of ethnicity (minority and majority) and I'm sure there are many more ... I'm speaking mainly to my own preoccupations but with the hope it might encourage others to share theirs and make apparent the things that can get made invisible when we get together in large groups.

I would like us to move back to the practical and address how we make that happen together, as inclusion requires much more than commitment to the principle.  I understand that generally conferences call for interested people to tell organisers what it is they have to say that is interesting ... what I would like to see more of conference organisers approaching people and supporting them to share what they are doing in these often lesser heard areas.  I am sure that our combined resource on this list means we are capable of generating further concrete suggestions together to support the organisers in making center stage the interesting chat and sharing that, in my experience, often happens on the fringes.

So here are some thoughts...  probably individualistic and over simplifying, but in the name of making a start somewhere for the sake of starting, here we go:
- a longer process of calling for proposals, including nominating others we know and respect for their work in diverse areas
- a system of supporting others who may feel less confident about talking in a conference setting
- specific subsidies to support the costs of people who will add to our diversity aims
- specific reference to diversity in the call for proposals
- thematic segments of the conference to make space for this to happen
- inviting external folk who can help stimulate this area
- sub group networking?

Are there any more suggestions out there?  I think if we could share some strategies for expanding our diversity it would be one way to support the conference planning at this early stage.

Best wishes,

Rebekah