Being critical?

The term 'critical' as currently used to prefix various disciplines (including community psychology!) has multiple origins, but perhaps the most significant one is from its use in 'critical theory'.  This itself refers to several things - in some contexts it was used as code for Marxism, or rather for historical materialist analysis.  It became best known in referring to the Frankfurt School of Marxist intellectuals concerned with questions of culture and its relation to society - e.g. Adorno, Horkheimer, Fromm, Habermas.  What is being meant by the term 'critical' is an approach that tries to understand a social reality through introduction of another, more penetrating frame of reference, one that has to do with a general theory of human society (or at least late capitalist society) understood in terms of contradictions between different social interests and economic processes of exploitation, capital accumulation, and so on.  So these critical theorists apply a powerful set of practical-theoretical tools to social phenomena to try and get a more thorough understanding that can help foment progressive social change.  Not very post-modern, and there are some rules implied.

Another use of 'critical', however, seems to come from the lay notion of the 'critic'.  At its worst (and most post- modern) that can mean 'say what you like', and 'pose around as the most critical voice of all'.  There is no method, just individual opinion.  The process is destructive not constructive.  It is part of the 'society of the spectacle', of consumerism, of capitalism itself.

Here I've set up two ideal types, with a clear bias as to the one that I'm more comfortable with, and why.  The idea is to use the two models to evaluate contributions that march under the critical banner.

So if you want to convince me that you are being critical in the best sense, I'll be asking
"Is your analysis one that requires stepping outside the hegemonic frame of reference of this society and its dominant psychology?"
"Where is your argument taking us and in whose interests are you doing it in?"
"What's the action - and what's your action?"
and
"Are you doing this in a comradely way?"

--
37 Chandos Rd South
Manchester