Thanks David
that's the book :-)
bw
PB

At 15:56 06/12/2005, you wrote:
Dear Petra,

You might be thinking of the book I mentioned when I posted the following as part of a message:

One of the most exciting stimulating books I have read in recent years is Decolonising Methodologies: Research and Indigenous Peoples by Linda Tuhiwai Smith (<?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />University of Otago Press) LTSD is Director of the International Research Institute for Maori and Indigenous Education at the University of Auckland.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I was and am also very positive about Ian Parker's 'Qualitative Psychology: Introducing Radical Research' which I think is tremendously stimulating

I also really like Carla Willig's Introducing Qualitative Research in psychology: Adventures in Theory and Method. Whilst not as 'critical' as the above in some ways it really does make the reader think about the very different epistemological and ontological assumptions  underlying different qualitative methods and that makes it hard to avoid problemetising ideological positionings too

In a sense much of the discussion on the list lately has been relevant in that . . . in my view, it is not so much that there are 'critical methods' one can choose to use if one wants to do 'critical research', as methods one can deploy critically if one is thinking critically . . . so the key thing in my view is to develop critical thinking rather than acquire specific research techniques  . . .  though in my view there is something intrinsically problematic about the assumptions and actuality of much of what counts as 'research' as a project (rather than as a set of techniques)

David

David Fryer
Community Psychology Group
University of Stirling
FK9 4LA
Scotland
+44 (0) 1786 467650 (tel)
+44 (0) 1786 467641 (fax)

-----Original Message-----
From: The UK Community Psychology Discussion List [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Petra Boynton
Sent: 06 December 2005 3:03 pm
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [COMMUNITYPSYCHUK] Escaping the Critique

Hi everyone
In one of the messages during this discussion of being critical someone mentioned a reference for a book which I think was about research methods and aboriginal people - a critical approach to international research (or something like that).  I'd really like to look up the book  but have lost the reference, could someone please remind me of the full title?

Also if anyone has any other useful references for critical books/papers around research methods specifically I'd be really interested in hearing about them.  I'm lecturing on an international masters in primary care and we're trying very hard to have a critical approach to methods for our diverse group of students who're working all over the world.

bw
Petra