Dear All,
 I am involved in a ukpopnet project building some predictive models of
population dynamics of farmland birds. As part of this we would dearly like
some information on the efficiency of the (cereal) harvesting process so we
can make some stabs at densities of food resources. Ideally, we would like
some indication of how this effeciency has changed over time (the last 30
years) and how it varies spatially (presumably with crop type, soil, weather
and others). We have a couple of scattered estimates from the grey
literature, and have tried approaching combine manufacturers, but so far
drawing a blank, but surely someone out there knows something, or knows
someone who does? Please, make my christmas...
 Drinks at the next BES meeting for anyone who can help, and apologies for
troubling those who can't
with all best wishes for the festive season
rob

**** Want to know about Britain's birds? Try - www.bto.org/birdfacts ***

Dr Rob Robinson, Senior Population Biologist
British Trust for Ornithology, The Nunnery, Thetford, Norfolk, IP24 2PU
Ph: +44 (0)1842 750050    E: [log in to unmask]
Fx: +44 (0)1842 750030   W: http://www.bto.org
eSafe scanned this email for viruses, vandals and malicious content (!)

==== "How can anyone be enlightened, when truth is so poorly lit" =====