On 12/18/05, jacqueline simpson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I've traced one very early allusion to tempestarii, in
> a treatise written c. 815 by Archbishop Agobard of
> Lyons, saying people believed that they raised winds
> which brought storm-clouds & thunder to cut down
> harvests, and that  the crops are then gathered by
> ships which sail among the clouds and carried away
> through the air to tyhe land of Magonia.

The last edition of the Agobard text was:

De grandine et tonitruis, in van Acker, L. (ed.). Agobardi Lugdunensis
Opera Omnia [Corpus Christianorum: Continuatio mediaeualis ; 52] [pp.
3-15]. Turnholti : Brepols

An online English translation by W. J. Lewis could be found here:

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/Agobard-OnHailandThunder.html

On about the question, see:

Dutton, Paul Edward (1995). Thunder and Hail over the Carolingian
Countryside, in Sweeney, Del (ed.), _Agriculture in the Middle Ages.
Technology, Practice, and Representation [pp. 111-137]. Philadelphia:
University of Pennsylvania Press

For a re-evalutation of the Magonia history see:

Brodu, Jean-Louis (1995). Magonia: A Re-Evaluation, in Moore, Steve
(ed.) _Fortean Studies. Volume 2_. London: John Brown
(unfortunately, I haven't here my copy of this book, so I couldn't
provide the numbers of the pages)

Best regards,
Roberto