From: Society for The Academic Study of Magic [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Jane Amanda
Sent: 14 December 2005 23:18
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Old conversation

Hi Catriona,

I thought you read my research papers at Bath Spa?  We are talking very much more than ridicule.  Yes, humour is a wonderful thing but none of the astrologers I interviewed were laughing when they were reprimanded by line managers, socially ostracised, bullied, dismissed, refused advertising space, stalked, lost jobs ... lost their marriages ... shall I go on?  I've written 60,000 words on this already.  Astrologers have their equivalents of "the burning times".  They tell their own stories.

Yes, some astrologers take ridicule with a pinch of salt, some laugh, some give as good as they get, but others take it very seriously and feel threatened.  A little survey I did revealed that something like 18% of astrologers had been subjected to the equivalent of a Public Order Act offence.  Obviously, its a question of degree, but if you just look at the actual comments or the individual in isolation, and you overlook the context, especially the history, you miss the big picture.  We are talking two millennia of persecution of astrologers, and they have inherited a tangible historical legacy.

Read Patrick Curry's stuff and some of Nick Campion's: the Science and Scepticism Module.  I had to delve to really understand.  I'm a lawyer and I've always been treated with respect and referred to as "madam" when I do my work - I can afford to laugh when people (rightly) ridicule lawyers.  There's a world of difference.

Its most evident nowadays in the media, I think.  Its only a matter of months ago that OFCOM removed the word "horoscopes" from its occult regulation - but all the other magical stuff is still considered suspect, and astrology will no doubt still be interpreted under "other similar phenomena".  Where censorship is practiced, the public will continue to be drawn along by the Zeitgeist, which is currently lead by the sceptics' pontifications and change will be very slow indeed.

And, don't forget, Blighty is officially Christian - we do all cow-tow to the Christian way - its our heritage - even scientists tolerate it (and even gang up with it against the heretic paranormal brigade occasionally!) the advantages are actually stacked in Christianity's favour, but I do of course concede that they get a share of ridicule.

As the lady said - we really could talk about this for a very long time!

Jane.