I guess I should introduce myself as I just joined the list earlier this week. My name is Jason Winslade. I've been a practitioner of one form or other of paganism/magick since the early 90s. I've had several initiations (Wiccan and Hermetic) and for several years was a member of a few different groups in Chicago (including a few years as the Educational Director of a Hermetic order), but in recent years (and trials and tribulations) I just do occasional things with a small group of friends. And I attend a few festivals every year, too (especially Starwood in New York).

  On the academic side, I've been working on a PhD in Performance Studies for quite some time now (life tends to get in the way - my dissertation is still not finished). I write on occult topics and have published a few articles in journals and anthologies. As an adjunct faculty member of DePaul University, I've been able to teach freshman seminars on Occultism, Politics and Pop Culture; Irish Myth and Politics; and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I also taught a course on Occult texts and a Ritual and Everyday Life course for adult classes. I'm hoping I'll finish the diss this year so I can get a 'real job' and publish more. I'm currently working on an article for an anthology on teen witchcraft and next year a piece for a conference: 'Charming and Crafty: Witchcraft and Paganism in Contemporary Media' at Harvard in May.

  I'm looking forward to interesting conversations, especially from my colleagues across the pond.
JLW

  Caduceus Books <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
  Greetings!

My name is Ben Fernee. For the past 17 years I have made my living
selling esoteric and occult books which gives me a superficial knowledge
of various aspects of occultism. I have been actively involved in
Thelemic scenes but now my esoteric endeavours are confined to
cataloguing books (and on occasion manuscripts and correspondence) for
sale and, in the near future, publishing occult books.

What interests me particularly at the moment is the mentality of the
occultist. These ways of thinking have the potential for being skilful
forms of insanity, useful kinds of naivety and can create fertile
relationships with the imagination. Often they are not, of course, and
then the consequences can be sad. But when they are the results can be
very interesting..

My interest is not academic but I am interested in the work of
academics.

Generally I suspect the relationship between the mentality of academics
and that of occultists can be very complex.

My best wishes

Ben
--
Ben Fernee
Caduceus Books

Telephone 01455 250542 (+44 1455 250542 from abroad)
Fax 0870 0552982 (+44 870 0552982 from abroad)

Web pages:- http://www.caduceusbooks.com
http://www.occultartgallery.com

Regular email lists of esoteric books available on request

Private premises visitors welcome by appointment

Yahoo! Shopping