> I believe this is true. I am currently researching an unpublished French
> grimoire dating from the 18th Century where Christian powers such as
> Jesus. Joseph and Mary are called upon to compel a genius loci to
> appear. This spirit of the place is considered infernal, being summoned
> from Hell, but is can be compelled to serve the Magician in useful ways.

Theres a rather nice altar from pompei which i'm rather fond of which has a
shrine to the household gods and a rather spectacular snake. Of the house,
"The servants' quarters include the kitchen and painted lararium, to worship
the Lares (domestic divinities): these are depicted at the top, with the
snake agathodemone (protector of the hearth) and the Genius, protector of
the head of the household."

http://harpy.uccs.edu/roman/larar.jpg