EQUITY e-newsletter: December 2005
Disability and Asset Building Communities Working Together
http://www.wid.org/equity

In the December EQUITY:
Building Assets for People with Disabilities One State at a Time
http://www.wid.org/publications/?page=equity

FEATURE ARTICLE:
If You Build It, They Will Come:
http://www.wid.org/publications/?page=equity_test&sub=200512&topic=fa
The Abilities Fund, Iowa Vocational Rehabilitation Services, The Employment
Policy Group
Three model programs in the state of Iowa are demonstrating how inclusive
asset building can be accomplished.

EQUITY Year in Review Survey
We want to hear from you! Our funding is dependent on your evaluation
of our newsletter. Please help us by taking this quick survey and telling us
what you think of EQUITY.
http://www.createsurvey.com/c/30358-CtSuut/

PROGRAM OF THE MONTH:
Facilitating Financial Independence for People with Disabilities Through
Research: Law, Health Policy & Disability Center at the University of Iowa
http://www.wid.org/publications/?page=equity_test&sub=200512&topic=pm
Phoebe Ball, J.D. and her colleagues at the LHPDC supply the academic arm of
Iowa's asset building programs for people with disabilities.

PROFILE OF THE MONTH:
Promoting an Asset Building Strategy for People with Disabilities
http://www.wid.org/publications/?page=equity_test&sub=200512&topic=profile
Phoebe Ball, J.D. illustrates what an advocate for modern disability rights
looks like- an educated, financially knowledgeable, disabled mother striving
to empower people with disabilities in Iowa.

TIP OF THE MONTH:
Iowa's Entrepreneurs with Disabilities Program
http://www.wid.org/publications/?page=equity_test&sub=200512&topic=tm
Why it is important to have a 'special' program for people with disabilities
wanting to start their own micro-businessess.

EQUITY Responds: WID Answers Your Questions
http://www.wid.org/publications/?page=equity_test&sub=200512&topic=responds
I'm an Iowan entrepreneur with a disability and while my business is doing
well, housing is a serious problem. I want to own my own home, what
resources are there to help?

LEARNING & NETWORKING RESOURCES:
Informative websites of interest to both communities
http://www.wid.org/publications/?page=equity-resource#current

CONFERENCES & EVENTS:
http://www.wid.org/publications/?page=conf

World Institute on Disability (WID) is a non-profit public policy center
dedicated to the promotion of independence and full inclusion in society of
people with disabilities.
WID's Access to Assets (ATA) program provides training and technical
assistance to asset building and disability organizations seeking to improve
the inclusion of people with disabilities in poverty reduction programs. In
addition, ATA provides information and referral services to individuals with
disabilities and conducts federal and state policy analysis on related
issues.

NEW! Toll-Free Technical Assistance Hotline: 1-866-723-1201
Do you have questions about asset building strategies or serving people with
disabilities?
Please contact:
Megan O'Neil
World Institute on Disability
Access to Assets Project Coordinator

Is there an article, conference, or website that you would like to have
included in EQUITY? All comments and suggestions are welcome.
We encourage the widest possible dissemination of EQUITY- please forward
this message to colleagues and friends.

To subscribe or unsubscribe to EQUITY, please send an email to
EQUITY is disseminated in plain text in an effort to be as accessible as
possible to a variety of audiences. If you have difficulty reading this
email or accessing our website, please send comments to [log in to unmask]

EQUITY is a publication of World Institute on Disability's Access to Assets
Program and is supported by the Asset Accumulation and Tax Policy Project.
The Asset Accumulation and Tax Policy Project (AATPP)
http://disability.law.uiowa.edu/lhpdc/projects/assetdevtaxpol.html
is a partnership of The Law, Health Policy, and Disability Center at the
University of Iowa College of Law, in collaboration with Southern New
Hampshire University School of Community Economic Development, the National
Federation of Community Development Credit Unions, the World Institute on
Disability, and the National Cooperative Bank Development Corporation. AATPP
is 100 percent funded by U.S. Department of Education grant #H133A031732.
Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not
necessarily represent the official views of NIDRR or University of Iowa.
EQUITY is also generously funded by the J.W. and Ida M. Jameson Foundation,
the Charles and Helen Schwab Foundation and the Friedman Family Foundation.

are now located at: