I've missed from the compilation of latter-day examples of Goe little booke
(in English) the following two cases of the missive form, these also
intended to be fraught with autobiography and literary history:

(1)
Ezra Pound, "Envoi" (1919) from Hugh Selwyn Mauberly, with reference to
Waller's "Go, lovely rose"

Go, dumb-born book,
Tell her that sang me once that song of Lawes:
Hadst thou but song
As thou hast subjects known,
Then were there cause in thee that should condone
Even my faults that heavy upon me lie
And build her glories their longevity.
Tell her that sheds
Such treasure in the air,
Recking naught else but that her graces give
Life to the moment,
I would bid them live
As roses might, in magic amber laid,
Red overwrought with orange and all made
One substance and one colour
Braving time.
Tell her that goes
With song upon her lips
But sings not out the song, nor knows
The maker of it, some other mouth,
May be as fair as hers,
Might, in new ages, gain her worshippers,
When our two dusts with Waller's shall be laid,
Siftings on siftings in oblivion,
Till change hath broken down
All things save Beauty alone.

(2)
Robert Louis Stevenson, New Poems:

Go, little book - the ancient phrase
And still the daintiest - go your ways,
My Otto [= Gr. auto], over sea and land,
Till you shall come to Nelly's hand.

How shall I your Nelly know?
By her blue eyes and her black brow,
By her fierce and slender look,
And by her goodness, little book!

What shall I say when I come there?
You shall speak her soft and fair:
See - you shall say - the love they send
To greet their unforgotten friend!

Giant Adulpho you shall sing
The next, and then the cradled king:
And the four corners of the roof
Then kindly bless; and to your perch aloof,
Where Balzac all in yellow dressed
And the dear Webster of the west
Encircle the prepotent throne
Of Shakespeare and of Calderon,
Shall climb an upstart.

There with these
You shall give ear to breaking seas
And windmills turning in the breeze,
A distant undetermined din
Without; and you shall hear within
The blazing and the bickering logs,
The crowing child, the yawning dogs,
And ever agile, high and low,
Our Nelly going to and fro.

There shall you all silent sit,
Till, when perchance the lamp is lit
And the day's labour done, she takes
Poor Otto down, and, warming for our sakes,
Perchance beholds, alive and near,
Our distant faces reappear.

To which may be added, from the period, the English version of Horace from
Austin Dobson (leviore plectro), from "Varia," in At the Sign of the Lyre
(1894 edn.)

TO HIS BOOK (Hor. Ep. I, 20)

For mart and street you seem to pine
With restless glances, Book of mine!
Still craving on some stall to stand,
Fresh pumiced from the binder's hand.
You chafe at locks, and burn to quit
Your modest haunt and audience fit
For hearers less discriminate.
I reared you up for no such fate.
Still, if you MUST be published, go;
But mind, you can't come back, you know!

"What have I done?" I hear you cry,
And writhe beneath some critic's eye;
"What did I want?"--when, scarce polite,
They do but yawn, and roll you tight.
And yet methinks, if I may guess
(Putting aside your heartlessness
In leaving me and this your home),
You should find favor, too, at Rome.
That is, they'll like you while you're young,
When you are old, you'll pass among

The Great Unwashed,--then thumbed and sped,
Be fretted of low moths, unread,
Or to Ilerda you'll be sent,
Or Utica, for banishement!
And I, whose counsel you disdain,
At that your lot shall laugh amain,
Wryly, as he who, like a fool,
Thrust o'er the cliff his restive mule.
Nay!  there is worse behind.  In age
They e'en may take your babbling page
In some remotest "slum" to teach
Mere boys the rudiments of speech!

But go.  When on warm days you see
A chance of listeners, speak of me.
Tell them I soared from low estate,
A freedman's son, to higher fate
(That is, make up to me in worth
What you must take in point of birth);
Then tell them that I won renown
In peace and war, and pleased the town.
Paint me as early gray, and one
Little of stature, fond of sun,
Quick-tempered, too,--but nothing more.
Add (if they ask) I'm forty-four,
Or was, the year that over us
Both Lollius ruled and Lepidus.

And: a late Renaissance variant of the terminal address to the book--the
long one largely in prose--is Cervantes' concluding speech to his sampogna
(in "Ozell's revison of Peter Motteux"):  "Here the sagacious Cid Hamet
addressing himself to His Pen, O thou my slender Pen, says he, thou, of
whose Knib, whether well or ill cut, I dare not speak my Thoughts!
 Suspended by this Brass-wire, remain upon this Spit-Rack where I lodge
thee.  There may'st thou claim a Being many Ages, unless presumptuous and
wick'd Historians take thee down to profane thee, bid 'em beware, and, as
well as thou can'st, in their own Stile, tell 'em, 'Avaunt, ye Scoundrels,
all and some!/I'm kept for no such Thing./Defile me not; but hang
yourselves;/And so God save the King!' For Me alone was the Great Quixote
born, and I alone for Him.  Deeds were his Task, and to record 'em, Mine.
 'We two, like Tallies for each other struck, are nothing when apart.'  In
vain the spurious Scribe of Tordesillas dared with his blunt and bungling
Ostridge-Quill invade the Deeds of my most valorous Knight:  His Shoulders
are unequal to th' Attempt: The Task's superior to his frozen Genius."

-- Amen.  Jim N.

James Nohrnberg
Dept. of English, Bryan Hall 219
Univ. of Virginia