Dear Alistair,
It has  always been a bit of a puzzle how four great hammers could fit inside a bell as
strikers inside bells are usually called clappers. At www.lighthousetour.com under buoy,
there is an excellent photograph of a North American bell buoy clearly showing four great
hammers hanging down outside the bell on long shanks, which clearly would ply the
outside of the bell with great force in any sort of rough sea, the bell itself being placed
low down in the frame..
  As the brother of a church bell, I have always assumed the bell in the Bell Buoy would be
hanging from the top of  buoy frame and  the clapper/s would strike it on the inside as the
buoy moved, and there are one or two bits of information confirming this, but I have not been
able to find a description or illustrationas to how a Trinity House Bell Buoy was actually made.
The illustrations of buoys in the 1911 Encyclopaedia Brittanica are not detailed enough.
Would it be possible for you to ascertain how a Bell Buoy of 1896 was constructed for
Trinity House?
As a sideline there is the famous poem about Ralph the Rover stealing the bell off the Inch
Cape Rock and being wrecked upon it himself in consequence at a subsequent date.
Regards Richard Haythornthwaite.