From: "Anna Sargent" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Friday, November 18, 2005 10:30 AM
Subject: Re: Kipling Society Membership

Dear Mr Radcliffe,

Thank you so much for your e-mail. I have been working out of e-mail range
for a couple of days and only saw your e-mail this morning. I would have
found the lecture most interesting - thank you for letting me know about it.

I met Prof. Pinney at a dinner/lecture evening at Magdalen Coll. Cambridge
some years ago - I was lending a Kipling letter to the display at the event
and I was lucky enough to speak to him afterwards. At the time, I was
completing a PhD on 'Kipling's paideia' and had just started research on the
Kipling and Baden-Powell relationship. When I became employed full-time by
The Scout Association as editor of Scouting magazine (in 2000), I had to
give up my PhD because the magazine was found to be in such a monumental
mess that we were working until the early hours of the morning for months to
get it back on track. I have never been able to afford the time to finish
the PhD, especially now that I'm responsible for a mortgage! I am now
Special Projects Editor for The Scout Association. We're currently producing
a coffee-table book with Hamlyn - An Official History of Scouting - which
will be brought out to coincide with the 2007 centenary of the foundation of
the movement. As one of the two writers, some of my research is finally
going to see the light of day after all!

I was given a Kipling letter as a 21st birthday present. Kipling was writing
asking permission to be admitted to the Magic Circle - something I believe
he was granted. I would love to bring the letter to show you some time.

I will contact Prof. Pinney directly about the letters held here in the
archive. However, I am attaching the transcripts I made the other day for
your interest. We can now see that Kipling was invited to the grand launch
event to inaugurate the Wolf Cubs in December 1916, but he couldn't attend.
The letters prove a) that Baden-Powell was happy to share the credit for
this new section with Kipling and b) that their relationship was a lot more
cordial, and their correspondence more frequent, than has been suggested by
biographers.

Many thanks and best wishes
Anna

Anna Sargent