On Thursday, November 10, 2005, at 7:42 pm, Phyllis wrote:

> Today (11. November) is the feast day of:
>
> Menas (d. c. 300)  Menas (or Mennas) was highly venerated from an
> early period---but his story was lost.  All we have is a much later
> account that re-uses an account of another martyr, adding a great
> deal of embellishment.  M. was an Egyptian and martyred in Egypt.
> shrine was built over his tomb at Bumma (Karm Abu-Mina), southeast
> of
> Alexandria.  It was a major pilgrimage center until the
> seventh-century Arab invasion.  The ruins were excavated 1905-1908.

A  6th-cent. pyxis in the British Museum showing scenes of M.'s
martyrdom is illustrated here:
http://www.usask.ca/antiquities/Collection/Pyxis.html
And a pilgrim flask that will have contained water from M.'s holy well
at Abu Mina is here:
http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/mns1l.jpg
An illustrated piece from Al-Ahram in 2002 on the history, archeology,
and imperilled present state of the complex at Abu Mina is here:
http://www.stmina-monastery.org/stmenas_ahramweekly594.pdf
The site is also dealt with in Terry Wilfong's chapter, "Christian
Monasticism and Pilgrimage in Northern Egypt," in Roger Bagnall and
Dominic Rathbone, eds., _Egypt from Alexander to the Early Christians:
An Archaeological and Historical Guide_ (Los Angles/London: Getty
Publications/British Museum Press, 2004).
Some hagiographic texts on M. are available in English translation here:
http://www.ucc.ie/milmart/Menas.html
And an illustrated touristic piece on M.s church in Cairo is here:
http://www.touregypt.net/featurestories/churchmenas.htm

Best,
John Dillon

to: [log in to unmask]